Friday, May 28, 2010

Melbourne Hot Chocolate Review #3

Location: Lygon Street (other franchises elsewhere)
Cost: $5.90
Temperature: Piping Hot
Take-away: Yes

This week I got acquainted with my old amigo, San Churro's Spanish Hot Chocolate with Hazelnut. This drink used to be called Baci Hot Chocolate but obviously word must have got back to management that Baci is an Italian delicacy and not authentically Spanish. Therefore it has now been given a name that I can't quite remember but I'm sure it started with A, so after extensive research of the Spanish word for Hazelnut I conclude that the new drink must be Christened Avellano or something of the sort.

So does a hot chocolate by any other name still taste as sweet? Yes. I enjoyed possessively mulling over my hazelnut hot chocolate while others walked by on Lygon Street and looked longingly through the windows. I sat there a while because the serving size is very decent and with the heat that the hot chocolate comes to your table at it's best to go slowly if you don't like scorched taste buds. I think this temperature is great though because no-one likes a cold chocolate (unless it's iced), the only minimal downside to the temperature is that a slight skin of chocolate can form on top if you don't keep stirring your cup of delight. I say delight because I feel that is the best word to describe the flavour, there is the delicious base of Spanish Chocolate that is full yet not heavy, and then the Hazelnut dances delicately on top adding a zing to the overall taste. The texture is not rough but I've definitely had smoother.
So will I be meeting my old amigo again? Most certainly!

No comments:

Post a Comment