Friday, May 7, 2010

Melbourne Hot Chocolate Review #1

So it may be because I'm still hungover at 3:30pm on a Saturday and feeling quite sorry for myself, but I'm beginning to crave some human conversation on my blog that I or a very close friend haven't typed.
The reason I started this blog was to get people out and about, enjoying the food and other delights of Melbourne. So please, yes I am pleading, if you go and share my experiences that I've blogged about TELL ME! I don't mind if you want to challenge my reviews, suggest places I should go or tell me how much you like my shoes.

I also understand that when you want something to happen you have to do a bit of hard work yourself. Thus I have decided that every week you lovely readers will get a review of the best Melbourne Hot Chocolates. I know it will be hard for me to drink a hot chocolate every week but it's a chore I must do.

Thus we begin

Brunetti's Italian Hot Chocolate

Locations: Carlton, City Square and Camberwell
Cost: $4.40 with cream.
Temperature: Hot
Take away: Yes

First times are usually a disappointment. It can be awkward, heart breaking and uncomfortable. Much like my first Italian Hot Chocolate at Brunetti’s. I was seventeen and trying ever so hard to grow up. I had become acquainted with cappuccino and sushi and believed I was ready for European Hot Chocolate. From the first sip I was sad. I could barely manage a few gulps of the rich concoction. Bitterly disappointed I swore I would never try it again, ever. However those few sips were enough to corrupt my taste buds, as I sipped on lukewarm chocolate from ‘coffee shops’ I dreamed of the chocolate intensity that had so briefly coated the back of my teaspoon.

I gave in a year later as I struggled through my first year of university. Inconvenient two hour class breaks and the chill of Melbourne’s winter could be fixed with one cup of Brunetti’s Italian Hot Chocolate. The serving size is a small glass, although it may look small it's just right. The liquid chocolate is dark and rich with a taste that verges on the right side of bitter. It is incredibly smooth and evenly coats the back of your teaspoon. I prefer mine without cream on top, but it is not ruined by the addition. To increase the delight, do buy one of their scrumptious little biscuits to go with it. There’s nothing wrong with a bit on the side ;)

Brunetti on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Just don't drink their coffee. That is, the brown and water that they pass off as coffee.

    ReplyDelete